Monday, September 7, 2009

Birth to two weeks

I really wanted to potty train, but I was uncertain as to how it would work and what I should do. I have no one to guide me accept the websites and I believe it would be so much easier if I had a friend who could tell me the hows and whens. I prayed a lot about it and God answered my prayers in a wonderful way. It was mid-winter when Leviah was born, so I couldn't let her lie naked to observe her communication etc. I resolved to start from week two, but I noticed that every time I opened her nappy she made both a wee and a poo, so I used my special words: Peepee and poefies. I was so blessed by this and it encouraged me to continue with the potty training.

Lessons to learn:
1. Do not stress too much about it in the first week or two. This is a precious time. Pray about it beforehand.
2. Choose appropriate words, but not something that other people would use in a conversation. I was not so clever in this area, because both my toddler son and husband often says peepee which results in a reaction from Leviah. Rather use a sound, such as shhh. Or one word for both, such as "Go potty."
3. disposables will come in handy at this time.
4. Resolve not to get involved in activities for at least two months and not to have hectic weekends. This is not a must and shouldn't put you off. It just makes it harder when you break routine and when you can't respond to your baby's communication. Having said that, if you have to do something, don't think it is the end of your potty training. Because it is a long-term process it can be picked up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment